This agreement is entered into this date by and between Animal Aid for Vermilion Area (“AAVA”) and the applicant (“Adopter”) for the adoption of the above identified rescue animal (“the animal”). * Required
Your Name - First and Last
1. Adopter agrees to pay AAVA an adoption fee of $150 for a dog or $75 for a cat.
2. Adopter agrees not to abuse or neglect the animal. Adopter agrees the animal is to be a family companion and agrees to provide a safe home, adequate food, water, proper care, exercise, love and attention. Adopter agrees not to violate any laws or ordinances with the animal. The animal is not to be used as an attack or protection trained animal and will not be used for commercial guard work. Adopter agrees that the animal is not to be kept solely outdoors.
3. Adopter agrees to keep a secure collar on the animal with a current rabies tag. If at any time the animal is lost/stolen, the Adopter is to notify AAVA by email or phone immediately. Adopter agrees that the animal will be confined inside the home when no one is at home.
4. The animal is not to ride loose in the bed of pickup trucks or convertibles at any time or to be left in a car when air temperatures exceed 70 degrees or fall below 40 degrees.
5. If adopting a cat, Adopter understands and agrees that declawing is not permitted.
6. Adopter agrees to have a clean, secure fenced area for the animal. If a fenced enclosure is not available, Adopter agrees to leash walk dogs. If Adopter uses invisible fencing, the animal is to be sufficiently trained before releasing it inside the system. Under no circumstances is the animal to be kept routinely on a runner, chain or tie out.
7. Adopter agrees to have the animal examined by a licensed veterinarian at least once each year and provide all vaccinations and treatments necessary to ensure good health, including yearly booster shots of DA2PP and bordatella. The animal will receive a rabies shot as required by law.
8. All animals shall begin heartworm preventative beginning at 2 months of age. The animal shall remain on heartworm preventative indefinitely throughout the entire lifespan. AAVA reserves the right to verify with the adopter's veterinarian that the heartworm preventative has been purchased and that the animal has a yearly blood test for this purpose. If euthanasia becomes necessary, adopter agrees to have it performed by a licensed veterinarian.
9. When the Adopter is to go away for a prolonged period of time or vacation, Adopter is to prearrange proper care for the animal.
10. If the animal has not been spayed or neutered at the time of adoption, the adopter agrees to have this performed by a licensed veterinarian within (30) days or by the age of six months. Adopter agrees to make the arrangements of the spay/neuter surgery known to a representative of AAVA. Please note that spay/neuter is part of your adoption fee, you understand that if you choose to use a vet that does not work with AAVA that AAVA will only cover what we pay at our primary vet.
11. Adopter agrees to notify AAVA and micochip company of a change in address and/or phone number within four weeks of such change.
12. AAVA makes no guarantees or statements regarding the animal’s age, breed, health, or temperament. While AAVA has made every effort to provide accurate history and assessment of the animal, AAVA is not able to guarantee the age, breed, medical status, behavior or disposition. AAVA is available for consultation, advice and assistance pertaining to the health, training and compatibility of the animal. Adopter agrees to release AAVA and its members or representatives of any and all possible claims arising from injury or damage caused by the animal to any person or property. Adopter accepts this animal as is with all defects, either observable or unobservable, and assumes all risk for the animal upon signing of this contract.
13. If it has been determined that the animal is heartworm positive, the adopter agrees to follow instructions given by AAVA for proper heartworm treatment and aftercare.
14. The heartworm status of the animal has been disclosed and treatment options have been discussed and agreed upon. Please select the appropriate choice for your animal.
15. If for whatever reason the Adopter is unable to keep this animal for its entire life, the Adopter must return the animal to AAVA or work with AAVA to place the animal in an approved home. Vermilion Parish Rabies Animal Control is not responsible for animals adopted from their facility through AAVA. All returns, questions, comments, and concerns must be brought to the attention of AAVA.
16. Please enter your full name as agreement to the above clause.
17. Adopter agrees not to give away, sell or dispose of the animal without express consent of AAVA. Under no circumstances is the adopter to surrender the animal to a shelter, another rescue or another person. The adopter agrees to give AAVA 14 days to find placement for the returned animal.
18. Please enter your full name as agreement to the above clause.
19. Adopter will allow AAVA to conduct home visits, vet checks and phone check-ins at their discretion after adoption in order to check on the animal’s welfare. Proper notification will be provided.
20. I understand that at anytime AAVA reserves the right to cancel this application. In the event of the application being canceled, I understand all my monies will be refunded and my information shredded.
21. In the event this contract, including all its covenants and conditions, is breached by Adopter, AAVA has the right to rescind this contract and demand return of the animal. It will be up to the adopter to cover all expenses of travel to return the animal. If Adopter fails to return the animal, AAVA has the right to seek a Court Order for return of the animal and seek liquidated damages from the Adopter in the amount of $750 plus any court costs or attorney’s fees. Payment of damages shall not excuse Adopter from returning the animal to AAVA.
22. AAVA reserves the right to make a visit at a mutually convenient time to ascertain that all of the above conditions are being satisfied. If AAVA attempts to contact Adopter to inquire about the animal, adopter agrees to make a good faith effort to return AAVA’s contact request as soon as possible.
23. This agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon Adopter and AAVA and their successors or beneficiaries. Both parties have fully read and understood all of the agreement, which sets forth all promises, conditions, and understandings, oral or written. Adopter agrees that they are at least 21 years of age.
24. Adopter consents and authorizes AAVA to use adopter’s likeness in photograph, video, or other digital media in any and all of AAVA’s publications, including print or web-based publications.
25. Please combine the last 4 of your social and date of birth to confirm electronic signature. * Example: 1234-080765